- When you get back from the shopping mall, instantly rush into the kitchen and keep the seafood packet directly in the freezer or over ice.
- Lobsters and crabs need to be cooked live on the very same day they are bought from the supermarket. You need to store them in an airtight container, which keeps the food fresh for 2 to 3 days.
- It’s important to consume oysters within seven to ten days of purchase, whereas mussels need to be cooked and eaten within two to three days.
- Never cook shells when they are dead, to know that tap the shell, if it shuts closes then keep it otherwise dump it in the garbage bean.
- You can store clean leftover shell meat in an airtight container or zipper bag that keeps it safe for three to four days.
- Shucked oysters are kept fresh till five to ten days, whereas shellfish lasts for one or two days. Scallops and shrimps can go well till two to three days.
- A zipper bag or airtight container is perfectly capable of storing squid, shrimp or shucked shellfish.Live shellfish like mussels and oysters are to be kept with their shell inside a shallow dish and is covered by a wet cloth. Scrub the shellfish just minutes before you cook or shuck.
Take proper care and consume the seafood, before it expires the shelf life.